Huygens Lyceum: nearby, personal and versatile like you!
Huygens Lyceum challenges pupils to take responsibility for the discovery and development of their talents. Our foundation is good, inspirational education. We want to fully equip students to face the challenges of present-day and future society. On the one hand, this means that they work towards obtaining their diploma, which includes gaining relevant subject knowledge. On the other hand, it means broadly preparing them for a future in which they will be challenged to find solutions for complex problems within professions that don’t even exist yet.
Would you like to get an impression of our school? We offer the following possibilities:
- 17 and 23 November 2020: information evening for children in Group 8 and their parents
- 15 January 2021: open house from 18.00-20.45 hrs POSTPONED
- 16 January 2021: open house from 10.00-15.45 hrs POSTPONED
- 16 January 2021: Online Livestream at 11.00 and 13.00 hrs
- 10 February 2021: sample lessons for children from Group 7 and 8
- presentations during orientation evenings at primary schools
- 30 June 2021: introduction afternoon for new first year pupils
- informative material: our first year brochure, our website and www.scholenopdekaart.nl
We will help you get the most out of yourself. Our approach is called “Huygens Learning”, which focusses on your development in the broadest sense of the word. It allows you to discover who you are, what goals you have and what you want to achieve. This will motivate you to learn and keep evolving, bearing in mind your future after secondary school. Huygens Learning is comprised of three building blocks, known as “VIP”, “VAK” and “VERDER”.
You go to school to learn and you can only accomplish that if you’re comfortable in your own skin. Who you are and how you feel are important. That’s why we want to get to know you. Your mentor plays the main role in this process. Each class in first year has two mentors, whom you will see every day during first period in the VIP class. The mentors are mostly there to help you discover where your talents lie, what interests you and what you find important. This stimulates your personal growth! During the VIP lessons you also learn how to plan homework in a special planner and you receive tips on how to study.
We offer quality education that is both challenging and inspirational. Besides books we make use of short films, presentations, field trips and hands-on learning. You will attend VAK classes such as Dutch, French, Mathematics, Art and Science. Lessons are offered at the level that suits you. We have separate first year classes for havo (higher general secondary education), atheneum/havo (A-levels/havo combination) and gymnasium (grammar school). These levels are explained further on. At Huygens Lyceum, you will be in the right place from day one, which will help you feel at home quickly and get the most out of yourself.
During the VERDER classes there is opportunity for deepening your knowledge as well as receiving extra help for subjects you find difficult. You will tackle projects that are in line with your talents and interests and you will get the chance to demonstrate what you’re made of. You will learn to plan, find solutions by yourself and share knowledge. VERDER projects stimulate your development, using the knowledge and experience that you gained in VIP and VAK lessons.
The First Year class that best suits you!
Huygens Lyceum has three kinds of first year classes:
- havo: This stands for higher general secondary education. These classes are made up of pupils whose primary school gave them a havo recommendation. They are taught at havo level.
- atheneum/havo: Atheneum is comparable to the British A-levels. The classes are comprised of students with a recommendation for havo/atheneum or atheneum. Students are taught at the latter level.
- gymnasium: In Britain this is referred to as grammar school. These classes are suitable for pupils that have an atheneum recommendation, enjoy learning and have a critical and inquisitive mind. Pupils will get one extra subject: Latin.
Besides the recommendation of your primary school, there are no additional acceptance criteria for first year. Gymnasium is an exception: the primary school has to support the choice for this level.
During enrolment the desired first year level will be enquired after. If this does not match the recommendation, a meeting with the primary school and parents will follow in order to make a well-informed decision.
It is possible to continue to atheneum second year after havo first year. It is not possible to continue to gymnasium second year from a first year level other than gymnasium. In the event of extraordinarily good performance, the option of gymnasium will be brought up before Christmas break. In this case a class switch can be made during the school year.
The duration of first year is one school year. In March pupils and parents receive our recommendation for second year. This is based on the professional opinion of all teachers of the student in question. At the end of the school year we decide upon the best place for the pupil to continue his/her school career, whether it is havo, atheneum or gymnasium.
246 children enrolled for the schoolyear 2021/2022 this year. All children and their parents recieved notice of the enrollment. The registration for new students is closed now.
If you currently have a son or daughter who is in group 8 of primary school, you and your child will soon choose a secondary school. At the Huygens Lyceum you can register your child for havo, atheneum/havo or gymnasium. Pupils with a special educational need also register at the same time as the other students, there is no pre-registration this year. There is also no maximum for the number of students that can enroll this year (no draw).
Due to the corona measures, we have a changed procedure for registration this year. We expect not be able to receive you personally at school, which is why we have chosen to do the registration digitally as much as possible.
Each registration consists of the following steps:
- The formal enrollment. You either choose option a (preferred) or option b:
a) Digital: The parent logs in to the system in which the educational report (OKR) is located (LDOS). You will receive these login details via the primary school. As a parent, you can use this to register your child digitally for the Huygens Lyceum. This is only possible if the primary school has finalized the OKR, the primary school will do this no later than Sunday 14th of March. The deadline for digital registration is Tuesday, March 16 at 5:00 PM.
b) Non-digital: If it is not possible to register your child digitally, the primary school can provide you with a blue registration form. You will need to make an appointment to drop off the registration form at the Huygens Lyceum on Wednesday March 17th .
It's no longer possible to make an appointment.
- The additional registration. You need to fill in the additional registration form to register your child at the correct level (havo, havo / atheneum, gymnasium). Your child can indicate with which pupils he / she would like to be in class (max. 3). We also want to know whether your child needs any extra support at our school.
If you encounter problems filling in the additional registration form, you can call us on Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 March between 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm for assistance: 040 - 2516221.
- Confirmation of registration. You will receive a confirmation by e-mail that both registrations (the formal and the additional) have been received correctly. If one of the two registrations is missing, we will contact you. If you have not heard from us before 5:00 pm on Thursday March 18th , we ask you to send us an email at email@example.com.
- Festive drive-thru. We will organize a drive-thru, Friday March 19th, for registered students past our school (Von Flotowlaan 1, Eindhoven). For every registered student there is a small gift on presentation of Thursday’s confirmation email. You may pass by car or bicycle.
• 15:00-16:00 Drive-thru for havo-students
• 16:00-17:00 Drive-thru for atheneum/havo students
• 17:00-18:00 Drive-thru for gymnasium students
- Confirmation of admission. The registered pupils are admitted or rejected on the basis of the advice and additional information of the primary school and whether we can meet any extra educational need. On April 28th you will receive a message whether your child has been admitted to the Huygens Lyceum. Our guidelines for admission are:
• Havo class: (minimum) havo advice from primary school.
• Atheneum/havo: (minimum) havo/vwo advice from primary school
• Gymnasium: vwo advice from primary school
Schedule a personal meeting
Do you miss the personal interaction with our school? Do you have any questions after watching our Livestream or interactive film? You can ask short questions via firstname.lastname@example.org. For longer questions you can make an appointment for an online 15-minute conversation via Teams at:
• Monday March 1st , 2021 between 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM or between 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm or
• Tuesday March 2nd, 2021 between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm or between 7:00 pm and 8:30 pm
It's no longer possible to schedule a personal meeting.
Changing enrollment based on an altered primary school advice
The primary school needs to contact the Huygens Lyceum if a student wants to enroll on a higher level due to the results of the Eindtoets.
Registration of students with an extra support need
Parents of students with a specific support need can make an appointment for a meeting with the support coordinator. This meeting has an exploratory and informative character: we discuss what support your child needs and what the Huygens Lyceum can offer. For an interview, please contact support coordinator Astrid van der Knaap, email@example.com.
Pupils with an extra support need are pupils whose primary school and/or parents expect that they can get stuck in regular education if they do not receive additional guidance.